Friday, December 23, 2016

Welcome to Seeking New Superpower

Greetings!

Welcome to my new blog. I've created this blog to document my transition from a career in technical documentation and content publishing in the software industry to nursing in health care. Mainly, I'd like to answer the question that most people ask me: Why do you want to leave the tech industry and become a nurse. It's a long story and I'll try to tell the short version and keep you up with notable experiences as I go through nursing school.

Background:

  • I graduated from Bowdoin College in 1987 with a major in English. From 1989 to 1995, I earned a Ph. D. in English at the University of Washington and could not climb the wall into a career as an academic. 
  • From 1997 to 2014, I worked at Microsoft, a startup in Pioneer Square, Microsoft again, and Amazon, always writing technical documentation (aka "content") or managing writing teams. This career, like most things, had a half life for me that ended in April 2014. On the advice of my attorney, I don't say much about that. 
  • In September 2014, I started taking prerequisites for nursing school at North Seattle College. I really enjoyed the classes and embraced my new path with eagerness. Classes included a couple quarters of anatomy and physiology, one of microbiology, a quarter each of general and organic chemistry, statistics, some psychology classes, and nutrition. 
  • In September 2015, I started to applying to local four year colleges' nursing programs. I did not get admitted to any, although I was waitlisted at one and was #1 on the waiting list when school started this fall. 
  • In November I finally gained admission to Shoreline Community College's nursing program. School lasts six quarters and I'll finish with an RN and an Associate's degree in nursing. I'll have collected the whole set: associates, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. 
  • I have ambitions to continue my nursing education beyond the RN, but that will come after working as a clinical nurse for a year or two. 
  • I am currently 51 years old and am entering a profession I never would have imagined myself pursuing 30, 20, or even 10 years ago. 
Questions and comments are certainly welcome. I've learned a lot on the journey thus far, made big mistakes, and at times been humbled when I was most arrogant and obnoxious.

As for the blog's title, it's a reference to the fact that I've discovered that my superpower is unblocking clogged toilets. Given the corporeal infelicities of a career in nursing, I thought being a toilet whisperer is a good place to start.

#houseswitholdplumbing

No comments:

Post a Comment